These adorable melting snowman cookies are as fun to make as they are to eat! Shortcut ingredients mean that they come together with very little mess in no time at all.
How cute are these little guys! I sort of feel bad for the melted snowmen, but at the same time, they make me smile. I can remember making snowmen as a kid and being sad when they melted away. But it’s still a great memory of being young.
These holiday cookies are easy to make using refrigerated cookie dough and some store bought decorating ingredients. They are totally fool-proof, and I’ll show you exactly how to make the cutest melting snowman sugar cookies ever. Make Pretzel Christmas Trees too if you love this type of easy, crafty treat recipe.
Need another cute winter dessert idea? Make Melted Snowman Cupcakes? Holiday baking can be so fun!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Kids Love These: Any kind of dessert that has a face is going to be a big hit with kids. Make these for the school holiday parties, or put out a plate at your big family Christmas party.
- They Make Great Gifts: Have some people on your list that you’d like to give a small treat too? Wrap up single snowman cookies with a pretty bow and a tag and hand them out to teachers, mail carriers, or anyone else you like.
- Simple Shortcuts: There is nothing to mix in this recipe. We will just bake off some refrigerated cookie dough and get to making them look like melted snowmen.
You only need a few easy to ingredients to make these adorable melted snowman cookies.
- Sugar Cookie Dough: To make these cookies come together really quickly and easily, take a shortcut and use refrigerated cookie dough. You can use the portioned type like you see here, or use the slice and bake style.
- Cookie Icing: Again, we are not baking from scratch today. Purchased cookie icing is already made and ready to decorate with.
- Black gel frosting or an Edible Marker: To make the details on the snowman’s face and arms.
- Marshmallows: We’ll cut them in half and arrange them to look like the snowmen’s heads.
- Mini M&Ms and Sprinkles: These candies will help us to decorate the cookies to look like the melting snowman that we want.
Complete list of ingredients with quantities and instructions is located in the recipe card below
How to Make Melting Snowman Cookies
- Bake: Bake the sugar cookies according to the package directions, and allow them to completely cool before decorating.
- Ice: Frost each cookie with white cookie icing. Don’t worry about being too perfect, the frosting should look like a melted snowman, so it does not need to be 100% round.
- Create the Snowman: While the frosting is still wet, place 1/2 marshmallow cut side down on the top part of the cookie to create the head. Then place two mini M&Ms on the frosting to create the buttons.
- Decorate: Once the frosting has dried, draw arms, eyes, and a mouth using black writing gel or an edible marker. Gently push an orange sprinkle into the marshmallow to create the nose.
Snowman Cookie Recipe Tips
Orange Jimmies for the Nose: It can be a little bit tricky to get a single orange sprinkle to stick into a marshmallow. Use a toothpick to create a small hole if you need to. Tweezers can also be very helpful if you find that it’s hard to do with your hands.
Make Your Own: To make these cookies completely simple we’re using refrigerated cookie dough and pre-made icing, but you can definitely make your own sugar cookies and a batch of Royal icing if you want to.
Decorate Cooled Cookies: Just a reminder, if you add icing to warm cookies, it will melt! Be sure to let the cookies cool completely after they’ve baked.
Let the Frosting Dry: Don’t try to add the small details of the arms before the icing is dry. If you do it too early, the black color will bleed into the white.
Edible Markers: These things are amazing for adding the tiny details to melted snowman cookies. Pick some up at the craft store or order on Amazon.
Other Fun Holiday Cookie Recipes
- Are you a fan of the Grinch? Make Grinch Cookies or super easy Grinch Sugar Cookie Bars.
- Christmas Tree Brownie Bites are made from a boxed mix, so they are really simple to put together.
- Eggnog Cookies and Gingerbread Bars are made from scratch, and are perfect holiday flavors for your cookie trays.
You definitely can use homemade cookies to make these adorable treats. Try this Sugar Cookie recipe.
You can use any other white thing that is about the same size as a half of a marshmallow. Another great trick is to place a mini cookie like an oreo or a mini Reese’s cup down before you ice the cookies. Then you’ll have a raised up space to create the face. I find that using marshmallows is the easist way to make these though.
Feel free to get creative! Some red icing or a strip of a fruit roll up can be used to create a scarf or a bow for your snow people.
Of course! Any type of cookie can be used and then decorated to look like a melted snowman. Try chocolate, peanut butter, or gingerbread cookies.
I hope you love making these fun melting snowmen! Let the kids help and make a fun new holiday tradition.