Heaven on Earth Cake is one of the best and easiest desserts that you can make in a 9×13 dish in 15 minutes! It’s creamy, silky smooth, and delicious!
If you love trifle, then you are going to love this heaven on earth dessert! It’s a super easy no-bake dessert that requires just a few simple ingredients. You can also change up the pie filling that you’re using and the flavor of the instant pudding for a different flavor every time.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Feeds a Crowd: This dessert is made in a 9×13 dish and will serve 12 people. It’s perfect for parties, potlucks, and family get together. You can easily double the recipe to make in a 10×15 pan and feed 24, I will provide you with the exact measurements for doubling the recipe.
- Delicious Layers: Layered desserts like this one are so enjoyable to eat because they offer a variety of textures and flavors all in one dish.
- Customizable: This cake is delicious as written, but you can change up the layers and add your favorite flavors. I’ll include some ideas for you below.
Complete list of ingredients with quantities and instructions is located in the recipe card below
- Angel Food Cake: You can get a store-bought one or bake your own (make sure to let it cool completely before you slice it). If you’re buying it, pick a 14-ounce cake and cut it into 1-inch cubes.
- Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix: Jell-O pudding mix is a key ingredient in so many amazing dessert recipes. Be sure to buy instant pudding, rather than the cook-and-serve type. Don’t follow the box instructions, you just need the powdered mix.
- Milk: To dissolve the pudding mix, use whole-fat milk.
- Sour Cream: We will be mixing the pudding mix with sour cream or Greek yogurt to make it thick and creamy.
- Whipped Topping: One 8-ounce container of thawed whipped topping is what you need. I used Cool Whip.
- Pie Filling: I use a 21-ounce can of blueberry pie filling, but you can do any other flavor that you like. Cherry is a popular choice, apple pie filling would also be delicious.
- Almonds: Finish it off with a sprinkle of silvered almonds for some crunch and flavor.
How To Make Heaven On Earth Cake
- Mix Pudding: In a medium bowl, whisk the vanilla pudding, milk, and sour cream until smooth and fully incorporated (you can also use a hand mixer to do this). Set aside and let it thicken.
- Add Angel Food Cake and Pie Filling: To a 9×13 inch pan, add half of the cubed angel food cake, followed by 2 thirds of the blueberry pie filling on top of the cake, and then layer the remaining angel food cake over it.
- Add Vanilla Pudding Mixture: Spread all of the vanilla pudding mixture on top of the cake layer followed by whipped topping. Smooth out the top with a spatula.
- Finish it off and Chill! Drop spoonfuls of the remaining blueberry pie filling on top of the whipped topping, and swirl it with a butter knife. Chill the dessert in the fridge for at least 4 hours, or overnight. Before serving, sprinkle with slivered almonds.
Doubling the Dessert
To feed a crowd, double the dessert and make it in a 10×15-inch pan. Below are the exact measurements:
- 5.1-ounce packet instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 ½ cups sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 2 x 14 ounce angel food cake, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 32 ounce can blueberry pie filling
- 12 ounce Cool Whip
- 3 tablespoons almond slivers
- Use a Serrated Knife: The easiest way to slice a fluffy angel food cake without squishing it, is with a serrated knife using the sawing motion.
- Chill: It is important to allow the cake to set in the fridge for at least 4 hours before serving. You certainly can eat it after you layer it, but it won’t taste as good.
- Turn this cake into a trifle! Layer in a trifle bowl instead of a 9×13 pan. You can also make individual cups or even use mason jars if you like.
- Substitutions: You can change up the flavor of the instant pudding to french vanilla, cheesecake, strawberry, lemon, or even chocolate. As for the pie filling, use strawberry, cherry, or apple. You can also use a different type of cake, yellow cake will be less fluffy and airy but it will still be delicious. If you’d rather not use whipped topping, substitute it with 1 cup of homemade whipped cream with a couple of tablespoons of powdered sugar.
Store this cake in the fridge covered for 1-2 days. If it stays in the fridge for longer, it may become a little soggy. I don’t recommend freezing it.
Serve this Heaven on Earth Cake for any occasion and everyone is going to love it! Don’t forget to pin it to easily find it later.