The fresh flavors of peppermint and rich chocolate and a crunchy Oreo crust come together perfectly in this easy No Bake Mint Chocolate Cheesecake. Perfect for St Patrick’s Day, Christmas, summertime, or any day dessert!
I can’t get enough of this Chocolate Mint Cheesecake! I’ve come to learn recently that there are some people who don’t really enjoy mint flavored desserts. Honestly, I was shocked, because the combination of sweet, creamy mint paired with chocolate is one of my favorites.
The flavors in this cheesecake are fresh, sweet, creamy, decadent, and delightful! We might even be able to convert some of the mint dessert haters into mint cheesecake converts with this easy recipe. This no-bake cheesecake reminds me of mint chocolate chip ice cream, and the Oreo crust makes it especially delicious.
Not only is this a delicious cheesecake, but it is a super simple recipe. No need to turn on the oven, Mint Chocolate Cheesecake is made with two bowls, one pie pan, and the refrigerator. You can serve this mint cheesecake chilled, or even frozen for a summertime treat.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Oreo Crust: Oreos stand in for the traditional graham crackers to create a no-bake crust that is buttery, crunchy, and has the perfect amount of chocolatey flavor.
- Creamy Filling: Cream cheese and heavy whipping cream blend together to make a silky, creamy filling that is sweetened and flavored with natural extracts to make it perfect.
- Fun Color: I’ve added green food coloring to make it very apparent that this is a mint flavored dessert. It’s totally acceptable to leave it out, but I think it’s fun! The green color makes this a great dish to serve at Christmas or for St. Patrick’s Day.
Complete list of ingredients with quantities and instructions is located in the recipe card below
- Oreos and Butter: Together these ingredients will create the perfect cookie crust for our cheesecake.
- Cream Cheese: This is, of course, the base for our cream cheese filling. You’ll need a total of 3 oz. packages, softened.
- Granulated and Powdered Sugars: A mix of both types of sugar provides the perfect creamy texture for the cheesecake.
- Vanilla Extract: Most good desserts have a bit of vanilla added. This broad, warm flavor enhances the other flavors in mint cheesecake.
- Peppermint Extract: Look for pure peppermint extract, rather than just “mint” or artificial mint.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: Fresh whipped cream added to the cheesecake filling makes it extra silky and fluffy.
- Mini Chocolate Chips: For texture and flavor, these tiny morsels go inside and on top of the cheesecake.
- Green Food coloring: I suggest using a gel food coloring for best results (this is the exact coloring that I used), as a liquid one may alter the texture of the filling too much. Leave out the coloring if you prefer.
How to Make Mint Chocolate Cheesecake
Make Crust: Use a food processor, or a ziplock bag and a meat mallet, or a heavy rolling pin, to crush the Oreos into small crumbs. Add the melted butter to the oreo crumbs and stir to ensure it’s well mixed. Press the crumbs into a 9-inch springform pan, covering the bottom and the sides. Place the crust into the freezer to set up.
Mix Cream Cheese: In a large mixing bowl, whip the cream cheese with an electric mixer or stand mixer until it’s light and fluffy. Add the granulated sugar and mix to combine. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and peppermint extract and continue mixing until well combined. Set aside.
Whip Cream: In a medium mixing bowl, whip the heavy cream until it reaches stiff peaks. Be careful not to overwhip.
Combine: Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture, folding a few times until there are no streaks left. Taste the filling, and add more peppermint if it’s needed. If desired, color by folding in a few drops of green food coloring. You don’t need a lot, a little will go a long way. Lastly, fold in the mini chocolate chips.
Fill: Add the filling to the chilled cookie crust, and smooth out the top using a spatula. Add additional chocolate chips to the top of the cheesecake. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 8 hours, or overnight.
Serve: Carefully remove the outer ring of the springform pan, slice and serve!
Toppings for Mint Cheesecake
This mint chocolate chip cheesecake is just begging for some extra yummy toppings! Try these, or come up with your own perfect ideas.
- Fudge Sauce or Chocolate Syrup.
- Shaved Dark or White Chocolate.
- Chopped mint chocolates, such as Andes Mints or Junior Mints.
- Oreos, either chopped or cut in half and arranged artfully.
Tips for Making No Bake Cheesecake
Freeze the Crust: After mixing the Oreos with melted butter, the crust will be soft. Place it in the freezer for a half hour or so to solidify the butter again. If you don’t, the Oreos will absorb moisture from the filling and lose their crunch.
Press the Crumbs in: I like to use the bottom of a flat glass to press the crumbs into the bottom and sides of the pan, and form a smooth curve between the bottom and sides.
Use the Right Pan: A springform pan is the perfect tool for making any type of cheesecake. It allows you to remove the outer ring of the pan, so there is no need to struggle trying to get slices out.
Plan Ahead: This cheesecake needs a minimum of 8 hours in the fridge, and can stay in the fridge for up to 5 days, so make it at least a day before you need it.
Because we didn’t bake this cheesecake with eggs to stabilize it, it will need to stay refrigerated in order to keep its shape. Keep in the fridge, covered, until right before you’re ready to serve.
Peppermint extract can vary in intensity between brands and even manufactured batches, so I recommend that you start with a small amount of the extract, and add more at the end after you’ve tasted the mixture. It really only takes a little bit of mint to flavor this entire dessert.
Not only can you freeze no bake mint chocolate cheesecake for storage, but you can freeze it, and serve it frozen as a cool, icy treat. In the summertime, a slice of this cheesecake out of the freezer is better than a tall cone of mint chocolate chip ice cream.
Enjoy this simple to make and delicious dessert recipe. I have a feeling that this no bake cheesecake will make it onto your list of desserts to make over and over again. Don’t forget to pin it!