Edible Gingerbread Cookie Dough is a eggless, no-bake holiday delight! This gingerbread dough recipe makes enough to share, and takes just 10 minutes to make.
Eating cookie dough right out of the bowl is a delicious, although slightly risky experience! Don’t worry, you can make a safe recipe for gingerbread cookie dough that doesn’t include any eggs or raw flour, and enjoy this sweet spiced dough, risk free.
Gingerbread is a classic winter and Christmastime flavor that is typically enjoyed in cut out cookies or cakes. The scent of gingerbread baking (or gingerbread scented candles) is a key indicator that Christmas is almost here.
I love this gingerbread dough recipe even better than any gingerbread cookies because I can literally start eating it 10 minutes after I start making it. This recipe makes plenty to share, or store it in the fridge and enjoy a few bites whenever you need a cookie dough pick-me-up.
Looking for Christmas Cookie recipes? Try these Grinch Cookies, or Christmas Tree Brownie Bites.
Join our Facebook Cookie Group! It’s a community of people who LOVE baking cookies! Join us to find new recipes, share recipes, or to ask cookie questions! 💕
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- A Safe Alternative: We’re making this edible gingerbread dough without any eggs that might carry icky things like salmonella. Plus we’ll heat treat the flour by simply pre-baking it for 5 minutes. This cookie dough is completely safe to eat raw.
- Classic Christmas Spices: Just like the favorite Christmas Cookie, this dough has cinnamon, ginger, cloves, molasses, and brown sugar in the perfect ratio to make it sweet but not too sweet, and just spicy enough. As written the spices are pretty mild in this recipe, but you can absolutely add a bit more if you want it spicier.
- Minimal Dishes: You’ll need a baking sheet, one bowl, a spoon, and your hand mixer. I love dessert recipes that don’t require lots of clean up!
Complete list of ingredients with quantities and instructions is located in the recipe card below
- All-Purpose Flour: This is the bulk of our dough, and the only part of this recipe that will need to be cooked. You can use bleached or unbleached AP flour, or a gluten-free flour if you prefer.
- Salted Butter: Soften the butter so that it’s ready to be creamed into a delicious smooth dough. Salted butter works in this recipe, but you can use unsalted and add a pinch of salt too.
- Brown Sugar: Light brown sugar has the right texture and flavor to sweeten up this edible gingerbread dough perfectly.
- Molasses: Thick, syrupy molasses is a must for a proper gingerbread cookie dough.
- Heavy Cream: Use cream or milk to replace the moisture that eggs would typically add to a cookie dough. This helps to give us the perfect dough texture.
- Spices and flavorings: Vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, and ground cloves are what make this dough really special. Add extra if you’d like an extra spicy gingerbread cookie dough.
- Optional add-ins: White chocolate chips are really good if you want your edible dough to have some texture. Sprinkles are fun too, although I prefer to add them as more of a garnish so that they don’t melt into the dough.
How to Make Edible Cookie Dough – Gingerbread
This is an incredibly simple recipe! Just a couple of steps!
- Heat Treat the Flour: Spread the flour on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes at 350°F/177°C. Allow the flour to cool before mixing up the dough.
- Mix the Dough: Cream together the butter, sugar, molasses, cream, and vanilla until smooth. Then add the cooled flour and spices and mix until fully combined. Fold in any mix ins.
Tips and Tricks
Store in the Fridge: You can keep edible gingerbread dough in the fridge for up to two weeks. You can eat it right from the fridge – it will be firm – or let it soften for a few minutes to get soft and gooey.
Make it spicy: This recipe is more sweet than spicy. If you are a really huge gingerbread fan, you might want to increase the spice a bit. It’s up to you.
Fun Mix-ins: White chocolate chips, chopped nuts, butterscotch chips, or even chocolate chips can be added to give your gingerbread dough an extra bite and some chewy texture.
No Bake Dessert Making Tools
- Pyrex Mixing Bowls: There’s something about these clear glass mixing bowls that brings me back to baking with my mother. They are a must for me, even though I’ve tried other bowls, I still come back to these every time.
- Glass Pyrex Baking Dish: This 2 quart rectangular glass dish is perfect for this recipe.
- Hand Mixer: No need to use a fancy stand mixer when a hand mixer does the job just fine. I use this one from Kitchenaid.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons: This set from OXO is just so well designed! There are magnets in the handles so they stack and stick to each other perfectly.
More Delicious No Bake Dessert Recipes
No bake desserts are fast, simple, and always loved!
Banana Pudding Lasagna is like the best banana pudding you’ve ever had, and it feeds a crowd.
Then Try Chocolate Lasagna. It’s completely decadent and always the first to go when I bring it to a party.
No Bake Mint Chocolate Cheesecake is a refreshing dessert fit for any day. Its green color makes it an excellent Christmas or St. Patrick’s day offering.
Technically, it’s not safe to eat cookie doughs that are made with raw eggs and flour, although I’m sure we’ve all done it before without any ill effects. Particularly if you’ll be serving cookie dough to others, you should make a dough that omits eggs and uses heat treated flour. This recipe fits the bill!
No, you cannot. This recipe is for an edible cookie dough only. Baking this dough will not result in cookies since there are no eggs or other binders included. Please don’t try to bake this dough!
Raw flour can contain bacteria, so it’s always best to cook any type of flour prior to eating it. It’s really easy to heat treat the flour to kill any germs, just pop it in the oven for 5 minutes!
Enjoy this gingerbread cookie dough! You can make it and hide it in the back of the fridge so you don’t have to share – I won’t tell! Otherwise, this is a really fun dessert to share with your family for the holiday season.
Leave a Review!