Turn the best ever chocolate chip cookie into a beautiful 4th of July red white and blue M&M cookie with sprinkles. These cookies are soft, buttery, and delicious! Perfect for your next BBQ, Memorial Day, and potlucks!
Red white & blue M&M’s start appearing in grocery stores during the early summer months, and when I see them I always buy a couple of bags to bake with. They’re great for decorating cupcakes, but I especially love them to make cookies and cookie bars.
A simple patriotic dessert is these M&M cookies, they are made from scratch in just 30 minutes and you don’t need to be an experienced baker to make them!
If you’re looking for more cookie recipes to celebrate the summer, try these fun Patriotic Pinwheel Cookies, Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies, and these Easy Rhubarb Cookies!
Join our Facebook Cookie Group! It’s a community of people who LOVE baking cookies! Join us to find new recipes, share recipes, or to ask cookie questions! 💕
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Quick and Easy! You only need 30 minutes to make these cookies, and just a few cookie baking standard ingredients. Plus, the M&M’s, and the sprinkles are optional.
- Fun! These cookies are so fun, I like to bake them to take to potlucks and they always disappear quickly.
You need a few simple ingredients to make these patriotic M&M cookies:
Complete list of ingredients with quantities and instructions is located in the recipe card below
- Flour, Baking Powder, and Salt: The dry ingredients for this cookie are fairly standard, we’re using all purpose flour here.
- Unsalted Butter: Softened unsalted butter is the basis of all great cookies, and this one is no exception.
- Sugars: Regular granulated sugar and light brown sugar are needed here to sweeten the cookie, and give it its great texture.
- Egg: Always use large eggs for baking that are brought to room temperature, they incorporate in the cookie dough much easier.
- Vanilla: I recommend buying the best pure vanilla extract that you can find, it makes a huge difference.
- M&M’s and Sprinkles: Find these at any supermarket during the summer months. I buy the patriotic M&M’s and sprinkles from Walmart or Target.
How to Make Red White And Blue M&M Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C, and line a couple of cookie sheets with a Silpat mat or parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients using a whisk and set aside.
- In a separate bowl or a bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugars for 2-3 minutes, then add the egg and vanilla extract and beat again for 1 minute.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and mix again at slow speed until just combined. And finally, fold in the candies.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (1.5 tablespoons size), scoop the cookie dough onto the prepared cookie sheets and bake for 12 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned and the centers are still soft. Remove from the oven, allow to cool on the cookie sheets for 5 minutes then cool completely on a wire rack.
- Room temp ingredients. Just like most cookie recipes, you want to make your cookie dough using room temp ingredients (I’m talking about the butter and egg here).
- Make them look perfect! Right after baking, I like to add a few more M&M candies or sprinkles to the top of each cookie. Just make sure to do that while the cookies are still hot!
- If you have time, chill your dough! This is not required for this recipe, but if you have time then place the cookie dough balls in the fridge or freezer for 15 minutes. This will make sure that your cookies are not flat.
- Turn them into cookie bars. You can follow this recipe to turn the cookies into a cookie bar, use a 9×9 inch square pan and press the cookie dough into the pan then bake for 20-25 minutes.
You can substitute the M&M’s with white chocolate chips and red white and blue sprinkles. Or use any other type of red white and blue candies.
Store baked cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature, or in the fridge for 5 days. You can also freeze baked cookies for up to 1 month. If you’d like to freeze cookie dough balls, flash freeze them on a cookie sheet for 30-60 minutes then remove and place them in a ziploc bag and freeze for up to 3 months. When baking from frozen, add a minute or 2 to the baking time.
I hope that you enjoy these delicious patriotic M&M cookies! Be sure to Pin the recipe so more people can find this amazing cookie recipe!
Leave a Review!