Soft and chewy Christmas Sprinkle Sugar Cookies are the easiest Christmas cookies around! Packed with red and green sprinkles, they are perfect for the holidays.
Sprinkle Sugar Cookies are the easiest cookies that you can make for the holidays! They come together so quickly, and kids will enjoy helping you make these. Make a batch of 24 medium cookies, or 36 smaller ones and add them to your cookie trays, or wrap them up to give as a gift.
These cookies require very simple ingredients, I bet you already have everything in your kitchen!
Complete list of ingredients with quantities and instructions is located in the recipe card below
- Flour, Baking Powder, Cream of Tartar, and Salt: The basic dry ingredients in many cookie recipes are all here. These make up the bulk of the dough and give it a bit of flavor and rise. Cream of tartar is added to give these cookies their unique texture, just like crinkle cookies.
- Butter and Sugar: You will cream these two together to get the cookie dough started. Use unsalted butter, and be sure that it’s softened to room temperature before you start.
- Eggs: Always use a large egg when you’re baking, you need one egg for this recipe. Make sure that it comes to room temperature before you use it, it mixes in with the dough much easier this way.
- Vanilla Extract: I always buy the best pure vanilla extract that I can afford, it makes a big difference. However, I know that many people like to use the clear imitation vanilla for holiday cookies as the flavor can be nostalgic and remind you of sprinkle cookies you used to buy at your local bakery around the holidays!
- Sprinkles: It’s cheaper when you buy sprinkles in bulk. Pick your favorite colors or change them up depending on the holiday you’re baking for.
How to Make Sprinkle Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Mix until all ingredients are combined well and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar using an electric mixer. Mix until smooth.
- Add in egg and vanilla extract and continue to mix until well combined.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixer and mix for about 2 minutes until the dough forms. It will be crumbly at first and that’s okay just keep going. Then mix in half of your sprinkles until they are evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Cover the cookie dough and chill in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight.
- When you’re ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat silicone mat.
- Using a 1 inch cookie scoop, scoop dough from bowl and form into an even, smooth, round ball using the palms of your hands.
- Dip one side of the ball down into the remaining sprinkles and place on parchment paper, sprinkle side up. Repeat for all of the dough, placing 12 cookies on a baking sheet at a time.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes. Be careful not to overbake the cookies! They are ready when they’re set and the bottom of the cookie is lightly golden brown.
- When done, allow to cool on the pan for 2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Mix ins: This is a simple sprinkle cookie, so all I’ve added to the cookie dough is holiday sprinkles. But if you like, you can add chopped nuts, chocolate chips, or chopped candy.
- Do not skip chilling the cookie dough. If you don’t chill it, you’ll get flat cookies and you don’t want that!
- Freezing: You can freeze unbaked cookie dough balls, and baked cookies too. If you’re freezing the cookie dough, make sure to scoop out into cookie balls before freezing and then bake from frozen. You may need to add a minute or 2 to the baking time.
More Christmas Cookie Recipes
- Ricotta Cookies
- Christmas Haystack Cookies
- Melting Snowman Cookies
- Christmas Tree Pretzels
- Pecan Sandies
- Classic Gingerbread Cookies
You MUST chill the dough, otherwise you’ll get super flat and thin cookies!
You can use any kind of nonpariels or jimmies for these cookies. Choose the colors depending on the holiday you’re baking for, or use rainbow sprinkles for birthdays or any day of the year!
You are going to be amazed at easy and delicious these homemade sprinkle cookies are! You won’t be able to back to the store-bought ones. Be sure to Pin the recipe so more people can find this amazing cookie recipe!