Whether you’ve run out of brown sugar or you’re just looking for a delicious and easy chocolate chip cookie recipe with fewer ingredients, this recipe for chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar is amazing!
You don’t actually need any brown sugar to make chewy, soft chocolate chip cookies!
You might already have your perfect, go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe, but have you considered what you would do if you ran out of a certain ingredient?
It’s super helpful to have this no brown sugar chocolate chip cookie recipe as a backup because you shouldn’t let a little thing like running out of brown sugar stand in your way of fresh, homemade cookies!
Another shortcut recipe that you should save is Cake Mix Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars. They are a breeze to make and everyone loves them!
Join our Facebook Cookie Group! It’s a community of people who LOVE baking cookies! Join us to find new recipes, share recipes, or to ask cookie questions! 💕
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Chocolate Chip Cookies without brown sugar are delicious!
It’s important to understand what brown sugar actually does in cookie recipes. Typically, brown sugar adds moisture that keeps cookies chewy. The molasses in brown sugar also adds richness. Those things are important when it comes to chocolate chip cookies, but brown sugar isn’t the only way to make cookies taste amazing!
In this recipe, the other ingredients are adjusted just perfectly to make cookies that are flavorful and chewy, even without brown sugar.
Because we don’t need brown sugar, this recipe has only 8 ingredients!
You’ll be able to whip up a batch of chocolatey cookies whenever the mood strikes because you probably have all of these common baking ingredients already in your fridge and cupboards.
Drop cookie recipes like this one are among the easiest cookie recipes to make since there is no need to shape the dough before baking. You should also try my Banana Bread Cookies and Fruity Pebbles Cookies!
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Cookies Without Brown Sugar
There’s no brown sugar here! This is everything you need to make this easy chocolate chip cookie recipe:
Complete list of ingredients with quantities and instructions is located in the recipe card below
- Flour, Baking Soda, Salt
- Sugar: Regular granulated sugar gives us all the sweetness we need for these cookies.
- Eggs: Let your eggs come to room temperature before adding them to the cookie dough.
- Vanilla Extract
- Butter: I’m using salted butter in this recipe. I think that most of us generally have salted butter on hand, so it makes sense to use it here. You can also use unsalted butter, just add an additional ½ teaspoon salt to the recipe.
How To Make Chocolate Chip Cookies with No Brown Sugar
- Cream Butter and Sugar: Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Then, cream the butter with the granulated sugar using your stand mixer or a hand mixer until it is smooth, creamy, and light in color. Add the vanilla and the eggs, one at a time, mixing until just combined.
- Add the Dry Ingredients: Add in the flour, baking soda, and salt, and mix again just until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed so that there is no more dry flour in the dough.
- Fold in chocolate Chips: Use a spatula to gently mix in the chocolate chips so that they’re evenly distributed.
- Scoop: Use a small cookie scoop to drop 1-tablespoon-sized balls of dough onto the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake: Top each cookie dough ball with a few more chocolate chips, and bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges start to brown. Allow the cookies to cool on the trays for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Use Any Kind of Chips: Milk chocolate chips make these cookies extra sweet, but they’re delicious with semi-sweet chocolate, dark chocolate, or white chocolate chips as well.
- Other Mix-Ins, like chopped nuts or sprinkles, can also be added. Try not to add more than 2 cups in total add-ins though.
- Avoid Overbaking: To keep cookies without brown sugar moist and soft, you should bake them only until the edges start to brown. The center of the cookies will continue to cook as they cool on the pan, resulting in perfection!
- The Extra Chocolate Chips on Top Are Optional, but make the cookies look extra special.
- There’s No Need to Chill This Dough! But, if it’s particularly warm in your kitchen, you may want to chill it in the fridge for 30 minutes or so before baking.
Once cooled, you can keep these chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. As with most baked goods, they will be best if you enjoy them as soon as possible.
These cookies can also be frozen. Keep them well-wrapped for up to 1 month in the freezer.
Other Easy Cookie Recipes to Bake
- Dulce De Leche Cookies
- Popcorn Cookies
- Cake Mix Strawberry Lemonade Cookies
- Cookie Monster Cookies
- Soft Snickerdoodles
You absolutely can, and you should, using this simple recipe! Your cookies without brown sugar will be so delicious, nobody will miss it.
Yes! I suggest scooping the dough into balls first, then freezing it on a cookie tray for about an hour. Remove the frozen dough balls to a ziplock bag, label it, and freeze for up to 1 month. When you’re ready to bake, put the frozen cookie dough balls on the tray and bake according to the instructions, adding an extra minute or two if needed.
Because this recipe doesn’t have brown sugar in it, the cookies won’t have the same caramelly flavor that chocolate chip cookies with brown sugar have. The flavor is a bit different, but the cookies are still so good!
It’s easy to make chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar! No worries if you forgot to pick some up at the store, use this chocolate chip cookie recipe to make delicious cookies with no brown sugar in them.
Leave a Review!