These Fudgy Chocolate Bear Paw Cookies are so easy and fun to make! Chocolate cake mix cookies feature chopped walnuts, gooey melted caramel, and chocolate chips on top for the cutest ever paws!
Cake mix cookies are one of the easiest cookies out there! They are made with a simple box of cake mix, some oil or melted butter, an egg, and any extra add-ons that you’d like to add. Nothing else is needed!
I share many cake mix cookies on this site because I want to show you how many different and delicious cookies you can make with just a box of cake mix. These adorable bear paw cookies are a great example, where I transform a box of chocolate fudge cake mix, and some soft caramels into a fun and festive cookie.
I call these bear paw cookies, but you can call them cat paw or dog paw cookies if you prefer! For more easy cake mix cookies, check out my Chocolate Reindeer Cookies, Cake Mix Crinkle Cookies, Lemon Cake Mix Cookies, and these Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Super Easy Semi-Homemade Recipe – This shortcut cookie recipe couldn’t get any more simple and the result is impressive!
- Adorable – Add these cookies to your cookie trays this year, everyone is going to love them!
Complete list of ingredients with quantities and instructions is located in the recipe card below
- Cake Mix: I’m using a box of Betty Crocker Dark Chocolate Fudge mix (Duncan Hines triple chocolate is also great), but you can use any other brand. Do NOT follow the package instructions.
- Eggs and Melted Butter or Oil: To make the cookies, you need to combine the cake mix with 2 eggs and some melted butter or vegetable oil. Make sure that the eggs are at room temperature, they incorporate into the cookie dough much better this way.
- Walnuts: This ingredient is optional, but it adds a nice crunch to the cookies.
- Caramels and Heavy Whipping Cream: Use soft caramels like Werther’s Originals Chewy Caramels or Kraft Caramels. These will be melted with heavy whipping cream to create that irresistible caramel layer!
- Chocolate: We will be topping the caramel with chocolate chips and chocolate candy melts, and make the cookies look like bear paws.
How To Make Bear Paw Cookies
Preheat the oven to 350℉/180°C and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix with melted butter and eggs using a whisk or a mixer, then fold in the chopped walnuts.
- To portion out the dough, scoop out 1 ½ tablespoon-sized balls onto the cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, or until the tops are set.
- Allow the cookies to cool for a few minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- As the cookies are cooling, make the caramel. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the unwrapped caramels with heavy cream and melt in the microwave in 30-second increments stirring in between.
- Stir the caramel to make sure there that it’s silky smooth with no lumps.
- Allow the caramel to cool, then drop a tablespoon of caramel into the center of each cookie.
- Top each cookie with 3 semisweet chocolate chips, and one chocolate candy melt to make bear paws.
- To get the cookies to set faster, put them in the freezer after adding the chocolate. They should be ready in 30-60 minutes. On the counter they may take a bit longer.
- Prefer vanilla-flavored cookies? Use a box of yellow or white cake mix, and add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the cookie dough.
- Feel free to leave out the walnuts, or substitute them with pecans or almonds if you like.
- If you’re making these for a themed party, you should also check out my Polar Bear Oreos. They’re so cute!
These cookies are best enjoyed on the same day, but if you happen to have leftovers you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. If you need to stack them, put parchment between the layers.
The cookie dough can be made ahead of time and stored covered with plastic wrap in the fridge for up to 2 days.
These bear paw cookies are so cute and the kids love them! I hope that you enjoy them as much as we do! Be sure to Pin this recipe so you always have it handy.