These Cake Mix Cookie Bars are the perfect treat to take to a potluck, a dinner party, or just keep them in the freezer for whenever you need a sweet treat. These cookie bars are rich and moist with a cake-like texture, they’re also chewy and gooey, and delicious! They have tons of flavor because they are made with cake mix, but they’re also easy to make because they use a boxed cake mix. You can even make them ahead of time and freeze them for up to three months!
Cake mix cookie bars are a delicious and easy dessert that can be whipped up in minutes (I’m not kidding!). They are perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekends. You also need just four simple ingredients that you already have in your kitchen as long as you have a box of yellow cake mix.
You will also love the taste and texture of cake mix cookie bars because they have the best of both worlds – the buttery taste of a cookie with the sweetness of cake!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Perfect Dessert for Any Occasion. They are easy to make, and they don’t require a lot of ingredients or time. Make them for a birthday party, a potluck, or a church event! Just cut them into smaller squares, and everyone is going to love them!
- Customizable: The best part is that you can customize them with any flavor of cake mix you want! I’m making mine with yellow cake mix, but feel free to use chocolate, strawberry, or spice cake mix!
Complete list of ingredients with quantities and instructions is located in the recipe card below
- Cake Mix: You need a standard box of cake mix, I used yellow cake mix to make these but choose your favorite. Funfetti cake mix would be delicious!
- Oil or Melted Butter and Eggs: These 2 ingredients are needed to turn a box of cake mix into cookies! You can either use melted butter or vegetable oil to make these.
- Add Ins: I’m using semi-sweet chocolate chips for my cookie bars, but you can use dried cranberries, sprinkles, chopped nuts, or whatever you like!
How To Cake Mix Cookie Bars
Before you start, preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C (160°C fan oven), and grease a 9×13″ baking pan.
- Combine: In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with oil or melted butter. Add the cake mix, and mix with a spatula until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips using a spatula until well combined (the dough will be stiff).
- Press the Dough Into Pan: then transfer to the prepared baking pan and press it in with a spatula (it will take you a minute, as cookie dough will be stiff).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Cool completely in the pan, then remove and cut into 16 bars.
- The Cookie Dough will be Stiff: There is nothing to worry about, that’s how the cookie dough should be. To spread it in a 9×13″ pan, I like to use a rubber spatula but it does take a minute to get this done. You can also lightly grease your hands, and spread and press the cookie dough with your fingers (which is a little easier if don’t mind using your hands).
- Dairy-Free: These cookies are dairy-free if you use oil (not butter). Which makes these cookie bars allergy friendly to those that can’t tolerate dairy.
Store the cookie bars in an airtight container for up to one week at room temperature. They also freeze very well, freeze them in a Ziploc bag or an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Cake mix cookie bars are a great dessert option! They are easy to make and can be made ahead of time, which makes them perfect for potlucks, Christmas, or bake sales! I hope that you enjoy them as much as I do, and if you make them please share your experience with me in the comments section below. I love hearing from you!