Make these chocolatey, chewy, ooey gooey brownie cookies from a boxed brownie mix! Add some colorful M&Ms to create a fun, delicious cookie recipe that everyone will devour.
Using a brownie mix to make cookies is an amazing, time-saving, and delicious shortcut trick. These chewy chocolate brownie cookies with M&Ms are super simple to make with just 5 total ingredients. You’ll have a batch of chocolate brownie mix cookies ready in under a half hour.
Brownie mix already includes cocoa powder, sugar, flour, and leaveners. We’ll add eggs and oil, a little bit more flour, and a good amount of M&Ms to make these delicious, extra chocolatey cookies.
Brownie cookies are the perfect “just because” cookie to bake. You don’t need a special occasion to bake these, make them just because you want to!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- 5 Ingredients: Using a brownie mix lets us skip a bunch of ingredients, which means less measuring, less mess, and overall an easier-to-make cookie recipe.
- Simple Steps: I aim to create all of my cookie recipes with clear, easy-to-follow instructions. You will be able to make these cookies even if you’ve never baked a cookie before.
- Colorful Candies: M&Ms are a fun and easy addition that makes simple chocolate cookies festive. Feel free to swap them out for white chocolate chips, Reese’s pieces, or any other baking morsel that you like.
Just 5 ingredients are needed to make these brownie-like cookies.
- 1 Box of Brownie Mix. I used a mix from Ghirardelli with chocolate chips in it. If you can find that, definitely use it, the extra chocolate is amazing when making brownie cookies from a mix! Otherwise, any 18oz brownie mix will work.
- All-Purpose Flour. Adding additional flour makes the brownie mix into cookies rather than brownies.
- Vegetable Oil and Eggs. These are the same ingredients that we’d add to the brownie mix normally but in slightly different amounts.
- M&Ms. These colorful chocolate candies are what make these brownie cookies special.
Complete list of ingredients with quantities and instructions is located in the recipe card below
How to Make M&Ms Brownie Cookies
- Prepare: Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Mix: In a large bowl, combine the brownie mix with flour, oil, and eggs. Using a spatula or a handheld mixer, mix until combined. Fold in or mix in the M&Ms. The dough should be stiff.
- Drop: Using a medium cookie scoop (2 tablespoon size), scoop out dough balls onto the parchment or mat. Decorate the tops with extra M&Ms.
- Bake: Bake in the preheated oven for 11 minutes. Remove from the oven, allow to cool on the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Adding extra M&Ms to the top of the unbaked cookies will allow them to be seen when the cookies bake. If you don’t do this, all of the M&Ms will be hidden inside of the cookies.
- Using a brownie mix with chocolate chips in it gives you extra chocolate flavor and melted chocolate texture. If your box doesn’t include chocolate chips, you can add 1/4 cup of semisweet morsels to the cookie dough.
- To really make the chocolate flavor pop, add a generous pinch of espresso powder in with the other ingredients.
- Keep an eye on your first batch of cookies, checking on them at about 9 minutes. All ovens cook differently, so you may need more or less time for yours.
How to Store Brownie Cookies
Keep your cooled cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. I’m not sure they’ll last that long though!
Brownie Mix Cookie Add-Ins
This brownie cookie recipe is a perfect starting point for making all sorts of delicious chocolate cookies. Try adding in any of these in place of the 1 cup of chocolate chips. Just make sure that the total amount of add-ins isn’t more than 1 cup.
- Chopped nuts, including peanuts, walnuts, pecans, or pistachios
- Chocolate Chips in any of their forms. White chocolate, milk chocolate, or specialty flavors would all be delicious.
- Shredded coconut
- Health or toffee pieces
- Chopped cookies such as Oreos
- Chopped candy bars like peanut butter cups or Snickers bars
More Easy Cookie Recipes to Bake
If you love this easy brownie mix cookie recipe, you have to try making these other easy cookies:
- Air Fryer Monster Cookies
- Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars
- Christmas Tree Brownie Bites
- Grinch Cookies (these are made with a cake mix)
I always buy Ghirardelli brownie mixes, and the one with added chocolate chips is my favorite for making brownie mix cookies.
The best part about this recipe is that you don’t need any special equipment! Use a spoon or a spatula to mix up this cookie dough if you don’t have a hand mixer.
Cookie scoops make baking cookies so simple, but if you don’t have one, it’s ok. Measure your brownie cookie dough into 2 tablespoon-sized portions. Then gently form the dough into balls before placing it on the lined cookie sheet.
Yes! These cookies are the perfect mix between a cookie and a brownie. Your brownie cookies should have a soft, chewy center and a slightly crisp outer edge.
I’ve been experimenting with baking cookies in the air fryer, and I’ve found that most cookies can be made this way. Check out this post for more details, but I’d suggest testing out a couple of cookies first at 330°F/160°C, air frying for 5 minutes, and checking them. Add more time if needed.